Bringing the World of Food to Pittsburgh
Chef Gaetano Ascione is a citizen of the world. A native of Naples, Italy, his culinary career began when he was awarded a Degree in Hotel Training from Istituto Alberghiero di Stato in Salerno, Italy. He also earned a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Biology from Duchess County College in Hyde Park, New York. He is fluent in five languages—Italian, English, Spanish, German and French. He began his practical experience working as Chef de Partie in Italy, Germany, the UK, and the Bahamas. Gaetano imbues his cooking with this international experience, creating fusions of flavors and styles.
A disciple of legendary the Chef Jean-Louis Palladin, Gaetano is heir to a legacy of not just master cooking skills but also an intense dedication to the craft of food. Palladin revolutionized the American culinary world, creating a brotherhood among chefs to push their profession forward, garnering it recognition and acclaim. Palladin took on only the most talented pupils, and he found an adept student in Chef Ascione. Now this famous chef has come to Pittsburgh.
With this training, Gaetano has created his own legacy. He has had numerous chefs apprentice under him, to carry on the Palladin philosophy. Chef Ascione has served at some of the best restaurants in the world. Some of his career highlights include:
- Serving two U.S. Presidents, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, as Chef de Cuisine at the Georgetown Club in Washington DC.
- He also served as Executive Chef for the Inaugural Banquet for President Nelson Mandela in Pretoria, South Africa.
- He has been Executive Chef in such diverse places as the NATO Allied Officer’s Club in Naples, Italy; the Paradise Beach Hotel and Casino in Busan, South Korea; the oldest private club in Singapore—the Tanglin Club; and the Palace Hotel and Casino in Sun City, South Africa.
- He has been affiliated with two Two-Star Michelin Restaurants in Cannes-France: the Belle Otero at The Carlton-Hotel under Chef Francis Chaveau, and the Palm D‘or at the Hotel Martinez under Chef Christian Willer.
- He was chef/owner of two upscale restaurants in Singapore: Gaetano Restaurant & Petrus Wine Bar, and La Stella Restaurant & Life.
- He has served as a consultant to the Taj Mahal Group of Hotels in India, to the Hilton Seoul in South Korea, and to Marchese Piero Antinori of the world-famous Antinori wine family in Tuscany.
- He is a member of the Chaine de Rotisseurs, the American Culinary Federation, and the Gruppo Virtuale Cuochi Italiani, a virtual group of Italian chefs who interact online.
- He was a finalist in the Chef of the Year competition at the World Gourmet Summit in Singapore in 2001.
When Chef Gaetano Ascione is asked about the type of food he serves at his restaurants, he always replies that he serves “only good food.” This master of the culinary arts has come to raise the bar on French cooking, and restaurants, in Pittsburgh.
Authentic French Bistro
Affordable prices, enchanting and relaxing ambience, humble but delicious food - these are the elements of an authentic French bistro, and what makes Jean Louis an unforgettable dining experience.